My last project I did involved a couple of candles and a battery operated lamp put together. The idea behind it was for an emergency situation, ie. power outage.
I wanted to continue on with projects that did involve candles. After researching various different kinds of (wood) candle holders I decided I’d give tealight holders a try. However, I wanted something most haven’t seen, something unique.
I finally came up with a design that seems relatively easy to build while being extremely inexpensive at the same time.
To start the project I began with a 2 X 4 piece cut to two equal lengths at 10″. Once cut I used a 1 1/2″ spade bit that’s equal to the diameter of the tealight candles.
Prior to making the cut-outs I measure out exactly where I need the tealight candles to be placed while at the same time leaving enough space on both ends for the stand. If you notice, I haven’t drilled completely through the wood. The 2 X 4 sits high enough to where the candles fit completely flush within the wood.
I found this round dowel that measures out to 3/4″ which I figured would be used for the stand that will support the 2nd 2 X 4 piece. Once measured and cut I double check that they’re sitting far enough from the cut-outs so the flame from the candle(s) won’t affect them.
For the cutouts on the dowel I used the same method as the cutouts for the candles with the only exception of using a smaller bit. The bit shown is a 3/4″.
FYI: For this cutout I didn’t drill completely through the wood. I left roughly a 1/4″ gap and used wood screws and wood glue to hold in place which you’ll see later.
For the top piece I counter-sank the holes right above the dowels and used wood wood screws to hold in place. Although not shown, since the screws are counter-sank I used wood glue and saw dust to cover the holes.
Now that I have the assembly complete, I wanted to test out the lights prior to sanding. Using a couple of different lighting environments I can already tell that even in a completely darkened area there’s enough light from the candles to brighten up the area and of course the bottom part of the dowels that support the top (2 X 4) aren’t affected.
Now on to my favorite part of the project, SANDING!!! Much like my last project since this piece is fairly small I can do all of the sanding by hand. Given the wood is considered scrap it’s still fairly new. Meaning there isn’t a lot of rough spots so starting with a 150 grit sandpaper will suffice. Moving on up and finishing with a 240 grit, then we can begin staining.
Like with all other staining projects you must ALWAYS prep the surface with a pre-stain conditioner. This will help to avoid any blotches that may occur when staining.
I wanted to test out a new color for my stain. I went with the Minxax Red Oak #215. I really like this color and highly recommend it to others.
For the last and final step is to add your clear coat. I use the Minwax Polyurethane since it’s highly recommended for all indoor projects. Although sanding with 240 grit sandpaper gives a smooth finish, I always choose to go with 400 grit for an even smoother finish. Do a light sand by hand in between coats and be sure to clean the project with either mineral spirits OR a warm damp rag.
- Pack of 50 tealights $2 (from the .99 cent store)
- Stain $5 (home depot)
Out of pocket I only spent $7. The rest of the items (fortunately) I already had. This includes everything from the scrap wood, tools, pre-stain & clear coat.
Since most of my inspiration came from my last project, I thought i’d go ahead and add the link below for those that are interested. Although it’s more than just a candle holder and of course a different type, it does serve as the basis for this project. I hope you all have enjoyed this project (including the previous).
Please feel free to comment below as I’m open to any/all suggestions.